Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Welcome Adrian Edward!


Well, the long awaited day has finally come and gone! We would like to introduce our son Adrian Edward Shortsleeve to the world, his family and his BIG sister! While we were extremely excited to meet him, I believe that Sofia was the most anxious! His offical stats: Born November 14th at 8:08am, 6lbs 11oz and 18 inches long.




We checked into the hospital on Friday at 5:30am with much nervousness and excitement. Within minutes, Vanessa was poked, prodded and hooked up to various machines. I was given the "Grey's Anatomy" gear and told to dress up for the OR (thats operating room...) Grandma Goebert was in the lobby awaiting the news with much anxiety and excitment as well.


At 7:50am we were told to zip up and make our way to the OR. Vanessa was wheeled in first and I was told to wait outside as they "prepped" her for the c-section. The picture to the right is me about 3 minutes before walking into the OR. I must admit my nerves were at their highest they've been in years, but thankfully I had stood in the exact spot 3 years ago waiting for the same operation. I knew what was coming so I felt a little more at ease, but you still have millions of thoughts racing through your mind at warp speed. Then the doctor walked by and shook my hand, asked if we were ready and gave me that reassuing smile that it was all good. A minute later, the door opened wide and doctor smiled at me and said, "come on in"





Vanessa was on the operating table with a huge drape in front of her. I was escorted to a seat placed by her head and I could see the joy in her eyes. I gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead and grabbed her right hand. I never let go until I was told I could take pictures! Vanessa was wide awake and very alert, unlike last time when she was high on various pain killers after being in labor for almost 24 hours! I was happy that she was mych more alert and could actually remember everything this time. Within minutes the doctor were slicing my wife wide open and the smell of burning flesh perfumed the room. We knew it was only minutes away. Then I laughed briefly and asked my wife to listen to the soft music playing in the background. "We're gonna party likes it 19-99"!! Yeah, thats right: Prince was playing in the background as my son was being born. I dont think I'll ever hear that song again and not think of this day! As quickly as we were laughing about the song I was told to get my camera ready and my laughter turned to seriousness.


I grabbed my camera and was given stern instructions to wait until I saw the baby's legs before I could take any photos. Within a second, out came Adrians head, followed another second later by his body and legs. The doctor fixed the cord that was wrapped around his neck and the baby catcher grabbed him like a loose football (see photo left). The doctor then cut the cord and he was swiftly escorted to a different table to be cleaned, smacked, suctioned and prodded to make sure all was well. On the way to the table we heard that first cry and I looked at my wife with a smile 100 miles long. It was amazing and something that will be with us for ever.


Within an hour, Vanessa was able to hold Adrian for he first time (see video below). I was happy that she was awake and coherent so she could enjoy every second of it. Within 10 minutes Adrian latched on to mom and had his first meal in the outside world. Thats my boy...

We eventually made our way to a more comfortable room on the 4th floor where we stayed until Sunday night. Thats right, we were back home about 2 days after this major operation! My wife is simple amazing and her threshold for pain is truly outstanding. I commend her for dealing with this major operation and the pain associated with it without EVER complaining. And through all this pain, she was breastfeeding about every two hours. Simple amazing...

It was one of the most memorable and enjoyable weekends I have ever had...


Baby Adrian 30 minutes old

Mom gets to hold Adrian for the first time

1 comment:

geefunk said...

LOVE this post! So happy for you guys.